NOTHING IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE
“It is wrong to claim that university education is fine the way it is. The claim means that something is wrong with the people that education is not working for. That is not true. Nothing is wrong with people. Instead, something is wrong with the education.
It is also wrong to suggest that education does not work because the quality of education is low. In nearly all cases, the quality of the educational system that was handed over by the colonialists on Independence Day was higher than it is today. Better quality education did not bring real development back then. In addition, thousands of people from underdeveloped countries have received their degrees from ‘higher-quality’ Western universities.” Education has simply never met its expectations.
About the Book
Title: The Failure of University Education for Development & What To Teach Instead
Author: Samuel A. Odunsi, Sr.
Genre: Nonfiction, education, economics
Finally, a New Big Idea that Solves Our Toughest Problems.
New book by Samuel A. Odunsi, Sr. defines the problem of tacit cultural knowledge in education and how to solve it.
University education may benefit the individual, but it has not led to overall economic development. For many developing countries, the hope behind university education far exceeds the results. The ideas and solution presented in this book provides a way to equalize the results of university education with the hope and unrealized expectations behind it.
- Education cannot teach everything about development. The most crucial aspects of development are tacit in nature and cannot be directly expressed or taught. Instead, they are acquired passively in culture.
- Liberal Education has struggled with this problem. While its lofty goals are well defined, they cannot be met without the tacit knowledge for development, which it can barely define, much less teach.
- The concept of “Cultural Diversity” recognizes that there are differences between cultures, including tacit cultural knowledge.
- The tacit knowledge needed for development is not specific knowledge. Instead it is the connection of the elements of the western economic model, that may be learned in school, to the language capacity that all human beings already possess and use for creatively expressing the spoken language.
- This is why expatriates from the West and the developed countries of Asia often perform successfully as managers and entrepreneurs in the developing countries, despite the constraints of underdevelopment. To them, the elements of the economic model are merely vocabulary to be expressed as management, administration, or entrepreneurship, using the language capacity.
- The purpose of university education should be to connect technical knowledge about economic development with the language capacity that students already possess. In the same way that the human language capacity can be repurposed for the use of a second language. Graduates can then express the economic model with the versatility and creativity they already use for expressing the spoken language.
- The means for achieving this purpose is now available and presented in the book and on this site: HumanRethink.net.
- Help bring real change to our world. Make it happen now. Contact mail@HumanRethink.net
Born in Nigeria, Samuel A. Odunsi, Sr. left for college in Texas in 1982 and has lived in Austin ever since.
A new big idea about how education actually works and how to bring real development to the rest of the world has finally been developed.
I stumbled on this discovery decades ago, after years of working as a freelance research assistant in the Austin, Texas area. I realized that this is what marked the difference between education that could make the university graduate an effective manager, no matter the area of specialization, and education that merely promised to do so. It was the difference between the disorder of the world in which we live, and one where every country can be as developed as the western nations.
But I was not an academic, and I’m still not one. This meant I couldn’t pursue the new ideas full time. Nevertheless, I spent much of my free time researching and substantiating these ideas. However, the demands of making a living in a business that is unrelated, and the demands of family made it a never ending project.
Meanwhile, 9-11 happened, then the Arab Spring, then ISIS. In all these events, I believe my ideas had an important role to play. I believe they provide the essential but missing narrative in these events as well as in many others. The new ideas provide the answer to a lot of questions.
In 2015, after the loss of my father and younger sister, I realized I may never have the time to present the ideas in the 5 volumes I had always planned. At the same time, I also realized that the solution was more important than the presentation or its length. I then proceeded to write down my key ideas in 1 short volume, using language that is accessible to the casual reader. I now have a book ready!
I’m in the process of presenting the contents of the book on Humanrethin.net, broadcasting them as much as I can, taking on all challengers, and raising funds to begin implementation anywhere on the planet.
But first, I need to get the ideas out there. I’m hoping this book tour will help.
Buy on Amazon